How to get rid of postpartum constipation?
What is postpartum constipation?
Constipation during pregnancy and post delivery is quite common. Constipation is bowel disorder characterized by hard lumpy stools, stomach pain and discomfort while relieving.
- Your constipation would gradually resolve with good diet and proper exercise.
- You would remain constipated for up to a few weeks post delivery of a baby.
How to avoid postpartum constipation?
- To avoid postpartum constipation drink plenty of water as it brings a lot of relief.
- Eat foods rich in fiber – green leafy vegetables, salads, fruits, whole grain meals, to keep your bowel movements regular. Regular bowel movement is necessary to prevent hemorrhoids.
- Go for a walk as this aids in bowel movement.
- Stool softners lubricate the stool for easy evacuation.
- You should avoid processed foods as this will make you constipated.
- You should avoid junk foods.
Home remedy to get permanent relief from constipation
- Drink a glass of hot water, really hot, in the morning to get instant relief from constipation and discomfort. You would be surprized at the effect the hot water would have in eliminating your morning waste. Simply add lemon to it, to enhance the taste, but not on all days. You can use lemons on alternate days. Better if there is a gap of two days. Go, give it a try!
Are laxatives safe for breastfeeding mothers?
- There are mild laxatives available which are absolutely safe for breastfeeding mother.
- The breastfeeding mother is provided with laxative to ease bowel movement during her stay in hospital. These stool softeners helps in preventing constipation.
When to call a doctor
Call your doctor before using any laxative or stool softener. The doctor would recommend Colac as a stool softener.